I style: Loose twistsHey guys! How's life lately? And your hair?
Mine is in a new style, loose twists.
|3-day old shrunken loose twists.|
|Cipriana (left) and her sister TK. Hurrrrr|
@flamellehair on Instagram posted her loose twists and in the comments she described how to do them.
All my plans of cornrows and goddess faux locs flew out the window and on Saturday I did my loose twists after watching the video below. It was really helpful:
I wanted an even more deconstructed look so I didn't twist tightly at the roots, only at the very ends. I also made mine more loose ie if she made say, fifteen turns per length of a twist, I probably did ten (Just for example. It'll differ according to your length) so mine look less like two-strand twists than hers.
Guys, I'm in love. With loose twists that is. Too many reasons:
- Low manipulation to install, much less than regular twists.
- Fast. Quick twist, bam, on to the next. It was my first time and even with my loosening and redoing, trying to get it just right for me, I was done in two hours. I'll challenge myself to one hour next time.
- Easy. Regular twists require some technique to get them neat. Neat is not the goal here.
The style itself:
- Looks like locs! Without the commitment.
- Gives the illusion of very thick hair. Like magic I tell ya.
- Can be styled like loose hair. They're more malleable than regular twists.
Day-old tucked in loose twists
- My hair stays moisturised for longer. I was pleasantly surprised.
- Keeps my single strand knots at bay. Twists generally have the benefit of "united we stand". Strands just can't go solo and commit SSK suicide.
I'm feeling like I want to stick with this style and base my regimen on it. That may just be my initial excitement sha. I'll keep at it until I get restless. Even then, I'll take a break and go back.
Moisturise, seal, stretch.
Loose twists shrink too so you gotta stretch at night. I tried putting them in tight braids but I didn't like the curled look in the morning, at all. I prefer big bantu knots to stretch so my hair can hang, making me look like I can play the guitar. #stereotypes.
But ahmeanit, forget the smiley made up face in the pictures above. If you could see me at home, plain-faced and scantily-clad; wallahi you will buy my single.
Like the style? Will you try it?
In other news, there's something very interesting coming up really soon: an event with me and some of your other favourite bloggers, for a cause. One reader will get to be a big part of it. More info coming soon, you'll love it. Watch this space.